Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Jewelry Window

What do you get a mom that seems to have everything?  That was the question I was facing this Mother's Day.

One thing my mom LOVES is jewelry, especially earrings.  I am almost certain that she buys at least one pair a week, if not more.  The girl loves the glam.  I visited her a few weeks before Mother's Day and saw earrings spread on almost every surface.  We all have our issues with finding ways to organize our jewelry collection, so I decided that this would be the perfect gift.

There is a crazy "junk" shop in downtown Fayetteville.  It's a large plot of land COVERED in everything you could imagine.  Toilets, kitchen appliances, doors, knick-knacks... The list goes on and on.  For some random reason, this is where I decided to start my earring organizer hunt.  I ended up finding the perfect base for the project: An old window!  The nice man even broke the glass out for me for free!  Now, that's customer service!

This is what I started with:



First, I painted the window with a paint sample I got for my office (office details later).  It was my first time painting anything.  Yes, I'm being serious.  It was a lot of fun and super easy.  The color was a bright blue/white.  Definitely brighter than I thought it would be, but my mom is super fun and eclectic so it worked.



Once the paint dried, I was ready to use the Phifer Silver Gray Fiberglass Screen that I got from Home Depot for around $6.

Does anyone else notice that the label has both versions of gray/grey listed?


I rolled the screen out and cut it to size and temporarily secured it with painter's tape.



Next, my hubby used wood glue and a q-tip to secure the screen to the window.  How sweet is he?  Why the q-tip, you ask?  Because the tip of the wood glue bottle was clogged and I was too lazy/cheap to go get a new one.  The q-tip ended up being perfect because Hubs was able to get the glue in all the tiny screen holes.

I had all intentions of gluing a pretty ribbon over the border to cover up the ugly glue, but never got to that.  I consoled myself with the fact that no one would ever see the back because it will be hanging up on the wall. 



After the glue dried, I hung two basic picture brackets on the back so my mom would easily be able to hang it herself.

I of course forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but it turned out perfect!

The window idea is not for everyone but it definitely fits my mom.  She loved it and the best part is she has plenty of space to store all her earrings!

The better part?  It was super cheap!
Window $5
Fiberglass Screen $6
Paint Sample $2
TOTAL: $13

I'd say it was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment